Vacation photos - Cymru

This fall, Antoine and I took our first plane journey together to visit my family in the UK. We were due, not only for a vacation, but to introduce Antoine to all the places and faces I had been describing to him over the last few years. 

The first leg of our journey was to south Wales to see the paternal side of my family.

After the 6 hr red-eye flight to London and a two-hour wait at the car rental company (where we were upgraded to an Audi S4 - I guess we looked appropriately disgruntled), we were off to Cardiff! We had lunch with my aunt, uncle and cousins before touring the city.

Cardiff Bay


We then drove off to my Mamgu's (grandmother's) up in the Welsh mining valleys. What was slightly ironic, is that leading up to this trip, I had been less favourable in my anecdotes about Wales (rainy, near an open cast mine, etc. - sorry Dad!). However, on all our drives, we were amazed to be graced with amazing vistas - many of which we saw on our day trip to Brecon, a town in the Brecon Beacons.

Brecon, Powys, Wales - with Pen y Fan in the background


Antoine turned out to be a real pro at driving on the left, skillfully navigating his way through the endless roundabouts and single-track roads. This was made evident on our drive to Rhossili Bay, where there were many country roads, but was it ever worth it! 



Of course these day trips required a good hearty breakfast to start the day and what better than a Welsh spin on a cooked breakfast...

Just missing the bara lawr
...made lovingly by Mamgu on the Rayburn fuelled by the coal from the said mines.


I learned a Welsh word while I was there that does not have a direct English translation. Hiraeth is deep longing for home, a nostalgia for Wales. Now that I back in Montreal, I feel that word accurately describes the feeling I have when I think of those incredible views Antoine and I saw while touring Wales. xx

Comments

Popular Posts