Penblwydd Hapus, Tad!

My Dad celebrated his 60th birthday this year and to highlight this, we decided to make a "Canadian dream" of his come true.  Let me explain...


A few years ago, my Dad and I were on a four day canoe-trip on the Petawawa River. After we completed a particularly difficult set of rapids, he told me in the most reflective of tones, "You know, cariad, I have managed to complete half of the things I set out to do when I came to Canada." To this statement, I was imagining career and family focused goals, but, alas, he went on to clarify that as a young lad in the Welsh mining valley, he thought that all Canadians could: 

1. canoe (something that is clearly ticked off his bucket list); and,
2. ride a horse. 

After responding with a little chuckle, I tucked away this moment and knew it prove useful in years (or a 60th birthday) to come ;)

The morning of, the birthday boy had no idea what was in store for him. All that he was told, was to dress for the outdoors. To gear himself up for the surprise, he asked for some french toast (made with egg bread, ama-sing!) for breakfast.

Breakfast for one champion of a Dad
Fully satiated, we headed off to Captiva Farms just outside of Wakefield, Qc -  it wasn't until the story from the Petawawa came up that he had a little chuckle of his own.

Here are a few pictures from the day, if you care to see:

First, we were each assigned a horse...


...we next learned the basics of how to steer a horse (i.e. how not to get hit by a tree)...


...then we were off for a couple hours with our steeds.



Happy to make it back in one piece!


Happy birthday Dad, we love you!! 


ps. Do you still wish that your second Canadian dream was to own a winery?? xo

Comments

Popular Posts